Wednesday 16 April 2008

A special day!


Today has been pretty special really. Having been discharged from Castle Hill I rang my own GP to make arrangments for my return to work. He actually seems pretty reluctant to certify that I'm fit, but under a little persuasuion finally agreed. I was hoping to start back next Monday, but he was having none of that. The best I could get away with was re-starting on Thursday, so that I'd only have two days to do before the weekend came round again. It's a compromise that I'm happy with, after all he only has my interest at heart and what's three more days after the length of time I've been off?

Today is also my birthday. Marg has booked the day off so we can spend it together and asked what I wanted for my present. I honestly couldn't think of anything, but elsewhere in this blog I said that I'd like to walk around the Marine Drive in Scarborough like I used to be able to - well, we DID it! It was brilliant, just as I remember, the wind was cold and strong in our faces, the sea smashing over the rocks below us and the cry of the seagulls on the cliffs high above us has to be heard. Admittedly we didn't walk all the way round, after all, that's a pretty good walk - and we had to walk back to the car too, but we walked more than two thirds of the way I would think. And the best bit? Well far and away the best bit was not having ANY Angina pain - none at all - not a jot! It's probably the best present I've ever had. Just the freedom to do this sort of thing after half a lifetime of not being able to defies my use of words. Suffice it to say today has been a memorable day - AND I drove there and back, some 80 /90 miles all told and I'm ok after that too.

So life is getting back to normal. Soon I'll be moaning on about workload and traffic and how I have to go to work and so on, but I don't care. I'm so looking forward to taking part in society again rather than just looking in at it from the outside, because that's how I feel just now. I suppose I've had a foretaste of retirement, and while Marg was with me at home off sick too, it was pretty nice - even though we both felt pretty dire, but she's back at work now and being alone, the days are pretty long.

And finally, my son left the cartoon at the top of the page for us on the kitchen worktop. We both laughed like drains when we saw it - and it seems quite fitting for the day. Thanks Dave!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.