Friday 11 April 2008

More of the gym etc.

Really todays post could be compressed into three words: Gym, hard, whacked!, but I suppose I'd better elaborate.

I'm nearing the half way stage of the gym sessions now, and the work load is increasing. Some of the exercises I find quite easy, but others tire me out. It's really quite strange because in virtually every job I've ever had I've had to hump and carry moderate to heavy stuff around, but this is what I find most tiring just now. I don't think it's actually carrying the weights, it's the positions that you have to place them. One exercise is to have a hand weight of 1.5 kg in each hand and hold them above the head, then at arms length in front of you and then to the side, again at arms length, which is immediately followed by holding a medicine ball of 2kg at arms length at 45 degrees above the head while doing knees bend stuff.

I know the weights don't sound much, and I would have laughed at doing such things before, but I was absolutely knackered when I finished today. Sweat was pouring off me and I had to have a quick wash before the talk.

While I'm on the subject of the gym, I have to say there is a certain black humour (which I really admire) in the choice of music to do the exercises to. Every tune has the word "heart" in it somewhere. Some todays more memorable ones were "Anyone Who had a Heart", "Heartbreaker", A Good Heart is Hard to Find" and "This old Heart of Mine". Apparently the music selection has been put together by a passed patient. I kinda like his - or her - style!

No comments: