Monday 7 April 2008

A busy day at the Hopital

Another Monday, so a gym day. Actually I found myself double booked with the gym and the diabetic clinic. Fortunately they are both in the hospital so I managed to see both, though the gym session had to be shortened a little. It still seems to be a bit of a problem getting my heart beat down after exercise. Getting it up there is no problem, today it got up to 130 BPM just during the warm up, but they want it back to the start level before you leave and mine refuses to get there. I don't feel bad, breathless or anything like that, I don't have "palpitations" it just doesn't seem keen to slow down. I have no idea why this is.

Anyway having cut short the gym work, I went up to the diabetic clinic, which ironically was running 30 minutes late - just the time I quit the gym by. Today was the dreaded retinal screening. For anyone who hasn't had it it fairly unpleasant. Don't get me wrong - it's not excruciating, but the drops they put in your eyes to dilate the pupils sting a bit. Actually, quite a lot! But they did it and I waited them to work. It normally takes about 20 minutes and during this time I went to see the doctor.

I have to say, she was delighted with me! My blood sugar level was "fantastic" and I'd lost "a great deal of weight" (five days in intensive care with kidney failure and no food tends to make you lose weight) and all in all I just had to "keep up the good work". I was pretty pleased with myself as I have really tried to go by the book on the Diabetes thing - it's just that I keep losing the book.

So then it was to get my eyes photographed. I have to say there must be something slightly sadistic about the medical profession. I admire them and I have so much to be grateful for, but they drop something that feels like acid into your eyes to make the pupils dilate, then to pop off a flashbulb right into them seems a bit extreme. I staggered out of the room only able to see a big blue circle and nothing else!

Then the final stop of the day - bloodtaking. This has become a routine now and the ladies who do it seem to be just brilliant at it. I honestly never felt the needle at all. I'm just hoping the the cholesterol level is something like and - who knows I may be back to work soon

No comments: