Tuesday 4 March 2008

The six week check up

It's hard to believe that it's now six weeks since I had the op. It's certainly been an experience that has left it's impression on me, some good, some bad - but mainly good I think it's fair to say.

I always get a bit tense when I have to see the doctor, I suppose it's just the way I am, and today was no exception. I spent most of yesterday moping around, snarling at people and being a general pain in the proverbial. Like I say, I don't do it intentionally, but when I'm a bit stressed - well everyone knows it! So I'm using this little bit to apologise to Marg and the others. One day you'll be able to get you own back on me.

So, on to the the results: Mr Choudrhi seems fairly pleased with me. Its come as a bit of a relief to be able to write this, but I seem to be pretty average. I'm now walking for roughly a mile-and-half most days, and I can now step this up a little. My cuts are healing pretty well, although the infection in my chest wound causes a little concern - not much, I hasten to add. The pain varies with the days, sometimes it's almost none existent, others it's there all the time. Again I seem to be fairly average in this too. I have to be careful about lifting weights, so I guess the Olympics in Beijing are out, but then I wasn't that keen on going to China. I suppose the biggest thing to come out of the check-up is Mr Choudrhi's decision that I am fit enough to drive again. There's no doubt that this is a major step forward. I am a 50,000 mile a year man, and frankly not having a steering wheel in my hands feels pretty strange. I haven't really missed driving, but somehow I felt incomplete not being able to. In fact, I've quite enjoyed being chauffered around (though I 've walked to most places), but it will be nice to get back on the road again.

I'm looking forward to getting back to work, though I fear it may be some time before I'm allowed to do the lifting required by the job. Possibly at the end of this sick certificate I can maybe do some light duties, but we'll have to see what the medics say. Until then I'll just keep on truckin' doing my walking and taking the pills until I feel better. It's been a long road somehow. In many ways it's been twenty years long, but as the old saying goes, "It's a long road that has no turning", I think my turning is coming up

No comments: