Sunday 17 February 2008

A tip for the pain...

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but sometimes pain is a real issue. Even now, just over a month since the op I have problems with it. I suppose it's the same old story, I get good days and bad days. Yesterday was a bad one. I spent nearly all day muttering and grizzling about how much my chest hurt. It wears people down - including me. Marg, has got problems of her own. I think all the stress and worry has caused her to have a recurrance of her old injury, the neck spasm and frozen shoulder, and that's no joke either, believe me. Life is such fun in our house just now...


I've been popping painkillers like they're going out of fashion, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Its definately a series of high and lows. I get terrific pleasure from walking at a reasonable speed, but sometimes the nights are sleepless and painful. I think I may have stumbled onto an answer though.


As I said Marg, has been suffering from a frozen shoulder, and Cheryl loaned her a "wheat bag", I'd never heard of these, but they are rather like the bean bags you used to get in school, but longer and loosely filled with wheat seeds. You simply pop them in the microwave for a minute or so to warm up and drape them over the affected part. The relief is amazing! I stole Margs for a few hours overnight (she sleeps reasonably ok, while I don't) and had my first decent night for - well for a long time. I feel so much better today - in fact I'm writing this before I get dressed.



It's later now, and we've been for a walk. I just worked it out and I reckon that we covered just under two miles in about 45 minutes! Thats going some - at least compared to how slow I used to be. I feel so much better on the whole, and I don't want to give the wrong impression. While pain is a problem, it's not insurmountable, and the feeling I get from a good brisk walk I can't put into words. Slightly under two miles and slightly over one month from the op - now that looks pretty good to me!

No comments: