Thursday 31 January 2008

Day 5

Its two weeks today since the op, so maybe it's time to take stock a little. Two weeks, just a summer holiday, and yet it's a time that has turned my life around.

Todays weather has been cold and windy, just the weather to keep me inside normally, and yet we went for a short walk this morning. Again, it wasn't far, but it was something I would have avoided like the plague only 15 days ago. Another landmark is that I actually managed to take Marg some breakfast in bed this morning! I used to do that every day ( I bet she missed it while I was away), and I got a real kick from doing it today.

So; the pros: Well, there's not a trace of Angina - not a jot, not a chest pain of any description. I do get breathless easily, but that is to be expected and doesn't cause me any real concern. I'm pretty sure my stamina will improve with time, and I feel GREAT!

I've noticed several rather odd effects since coming home. I've found pulses where I never knew I had them. Reading with my head against the bedhead produces one, and I have to say it feels rather strange.

My taste seems to have changed. I really don't fancy toast anymore, and I've always liked it, but now, I just don't want any. If it's offered I just turn my nose up at it. Strange eh?

My temperature seems to vary. One moment I'm hot, then chilly. The book said to expect this, but its a rather weird sensation, not unlike having flu, but without any of the other symptoms

The cons? Well, none really. My chest still hurts, but that is from the cut and must be expected. I also feel that it's "good pain" somehow, a healing pain is maybe the best way I can put it - and anyway I only take paracetamol for it, as and when required.

So as a progress report, I'm feeling pretty chipper.

One thing that does make me hurt is laughing, and Marg did for me last night! I suppose that you could say that it's a quote that you never expect to hear from your wife. She said, as we lay in bed "Oooh those stockings do feel funny on your legs." Now don't get the wrong idea, I have to wear support stockings for a few weeks but I cracked up and couldn't stop - and it hurt like hell!

2 comments:

graham austin said...

Hi Verb..Sounds as though things are really starting to happen.Glad I sorted this blog thing out & got your reply.Had my angiogram last week,not quite as bad as I (& everyone else there had built it up to be.Next Friday go to same place for catherter down throat,not looking forward to that,but at least will be slightly sedated.Pleased with ang.results to say I've been a lifelong smoker.On Saturday catching train from Chesterfield to London to see Phantom,looking forward to it ,but as you might guess dreading walking round London.See you are looking forward to your 37th w.a. so are we next April,bet on your wedding photos most oy your guests are wearing miniskirts(the women that is!)Keep up the good work,speak to you soon Graham

Verb said...

Hi Graham, good to see you again. Like you I've been a smoker nearly all my life (I stopped 3 years ago) I hope you manage to quit. There's no doubt, it's worrying time, but I'm glad your angio went well.
Enjoy London and the show, and if you have any questions I can help with - well just ask buddy.

Cheers