Sunday 18 November 2007

Confused? - you will be!

A moment of consternation this morning. Because I take so many pills now I have a little gizmo that can hold a weeks supply of tablets. You simply slide back the lid at the right time and it dispenses the tablets that you need. It’s a bit of a faff to set up once a week, but you can see at a glance if you’ve missed any and it also makes sure you have a week in which to get a repeat prescription, so it’s a pretty useful little gadget.

Anyway, I was loading it up this morning with my metformin tablets. I take 3 a day for seven days, so I just take out 21 from the blister pack and put them in the gadget. As I was doing so I noticed that some had different numbers embossed on them. I wasn’t sure, but I wondered if they were dosage numbers, so I rang the chemist. The thing was that different numbers came out of the same blister pack which I found a bit worrying.

The pharmacist seemed concerned too and asked me to bring the tablets in for checking. I did, pretty well straight away. I got the impression that she didn’t really believe that two different numbers came from the same pack and she took a couple more tablets from the blister pack to check. Sure enough, they were numbered 96 and 43. We were both a bit gobsmacked, and she immediately offered to change them for me, which I accepted, inwardly worrying that I had taken different doses without noticing.

However, she came back a few seconds later beaming. The tablets are all stamped 96 – on one side, and 43 on the other!

It seems a funny way of going on and a cracking method of sowing alarm and confusion, but at least I know now, and I’m ok with the dosage.

No comments: