Friday 16 November 2007

Another consultation

Another visit to see my cardiologist Dr Durham at the local hospital today. It was quite amusing in some ways. The clinic ran smack on time this morning, as indeed it mostly does nowadays, and we were all shuffled through to wait in the waiting area. Unfortunately there was some building work going on and some guys with Kango hammers and various other incredibly noisy tools were on a production drive!

We sat, almost unable to speak above the noise, looking at the sign which said “Quiet Please” and smiling. It could only happen in York.

When Dr Durham appeared he walked along the corridor wafting building dust away with his hand as he passed. He nodded to my wife, and I said something about him “looking so young.” She replied, in the sort of voice she normally reserves for talking about George Clooney or his type, “Yes, young, good looking, handsome, clever, rich…
I stopped her there. Can’t have a lady of her age getting carried away now, can we?

The actual consultation was over pretty quickly as there is very little to be done until after the op. I got some new tablets to counteract the angina pain at night, but that was all really. After the consultation we walked to the dispensary to collect my prescription. While we were waiting another youngish lady walked in and handed in her script too, then walked to the end of the waiting room and started doing karate moves. I stared. I couldn’t help it. As you may have gathered by now, my wife and I are pretty close and we sort of turned to each other and smiled. In my case it was a smirk I suppose, but I could barely control myself. In the finish, I cracked and started laughing. My wife nudged me (violently!) to stop, but that only made it worse. I know we shouldn’t mock but sometimes I just can’t help it,

No comments: