Friday 25 April 2008

Of buses, blue lights and hard pavements...

...Oh and lovely nurses!

I went to the docs today to get my return to work cert. Because of another sleepless night Marg left before me, so I went on the bus. I walked round to Tescos to get some new batteries for the smoke alarm we have then got on the bus. I walked down Lord Mayors Walk to the docs and got my cert, then walked back to catch the bus home again. This is where it all went a bit pear shaped.

As I rounded the corner, i saw my bus stuck in traffic about 30 yards short of the stop. I was only the same distance away so I made a run for it (I know, I know - sorry) That's about the last thing I remember. I had a terrific dizzy spell and thought "That was a pretty stupid", which was my last conscious thought. I woke up lying flat on my back on a very hard pavement with two girls holding my hands and telling me not to move. One got my wallet which had fallen from my pocket, the other my phone. An ambulance was already on its way as one of them had called it.

One of the girls asked me if I wanted anyone to be informed, and of course I asked for Marg (as an aside her number is under "ICE"- In Case Of Emergency on my phone and proved it's worth today, because I could no more remember her number than fly, but I remembered it was under ICE - please make sure you and all your family do this, it saved so much time today) So the ambulance turned up all flashing lights and sirens - very dramatic - and the guy checked me over. I'd cut the back of my head in the fall, but otherwise I'm ok, but that didn't stop them carting me off to hospital blue lighs flashing and horns blowing, through red lights and the rest - oh no!

There I was treated for the cut, my heart was checked (it's fine - or as fine as it's ever going to be), and they sealed the cut with superglue. Actually the only stuff I have found that superglue does work on is my flesh, so I have every confidence in it holding.

So that's it really. If ever I'm stupid enough to run for a bus again, I can expect a kick in the teeth from Marg and the kids! And guess what? I missed the bloody bus after all that!

People really ARE wonderful though, the two girls I've never met or will meet again the ambulance guy - everyone at the hospital all did their bit to help me through what was a pretty frightening experience. It does restore ones faith in human nature.

No comments: