Monday 17 March 2008

An introduction to the gym

Marg went back to work today. She's still not right, but insists on going back "to see how I go", I feel sort of lost without her being around. Its funny how it never crossed my mind that she would be around when I came out of hospital, but now she's disappeared, at least during the working day, I feel odd and maybe a bit vulnerable, but life goes on.

We're very lucky here in York as we have an active and well prepared cardiac recovery system. Today was my turn to find out about the gym work that I'll be doing over the next six weeks.

A small group of us met at mid-morning to be briefed on what to expect and what was expected of us. We'll all be examined as we do our workouts. We'll all be given a sort of belt affair to wear round our chests and a wristwatch that will measure our heart rate. We need to be careful not to get too close to our neighbour or the belt might pick up their heartrate too and add them together, causing some alarm and consternation. Also if the watch registers "zero" it means that the battery is flat, not that you're dead! Of course they won't be expecting us to be athletes, but to become fitter than we are. I'm quite looking forward to it really as it'll give me some focus for what are now becoming long days. I drove the car back from Margs work (so that I could use it to go to the meeting), and it's till quite painful even after a short distance. I'm hoping the gym setup will help with this because I'm now getting quite worried about my job. Van drivers are ten a penny, and I've now been off work since January, so you'll see what I mean. My employers have been great, but goodwill is a finite resource and I don't want it to run out.

Otherwise, there's not much else to report. I'm pretty sure that I am improving, but the rate of improvement is slowing down markedly. Oh well, we'll see how knackered I am after Wednesdays work out. I'll let you know...

No comments: