Saturday 12 January 2008

Last nights dance

Well we went, and we had quite a good time all in all. Its strange how, although we only meet up once a year, I seem to have become quite good friends with a few of my wife's work colleagues and their wives / husbands. I think it maybe that the actual employees of the place are so busy talking shop and so on, that we partners have to make our own conversation, but whatever, I was a little surprised and very grateful to receive so many good wishes from so many different people.


One of the things that seems to have changed a lot in today's society is the way people greet each other. It now seems obligatory to kiss ladies on the cheek, ladies who I hardly know, and I have to say that I'm not comfortable doing it. To me it seems false somehow. I mean I do only see these ladies once a year, and the "air kiss" is something reserved for my closest female friends and relatives really. However, it's quite a rarity for a man of my age to be able to hug a young girl and not get his face slapped, that I took full advantage last night.

One of the people who I hardly know is a director of the company, but he took me to one side and told me how he had had a by-pass done 10 years ago and that it really was the best thing to happen to him - ever. Judging from the way he was dancing and the energy that he had, I must believe him. I really hope I can be like it too. It would be really great to reassure someone in my position some years hence, and maybe even point them to this blog. We'll see.

We had a nice time and renewed acquaintances with several people. I managed a couple of dances (well, more like one-and-as half, really) and stayed sober all night. My son was pretty disappointed by this as the spectator sport is watching me lean on the edge of the living room door trying (vainly) to balance after one or two too many G&Ts.

The only fly in the ointment was that I had a really dreadful night after turning in. I lost count of how many times angina woke me, but it was many times. I try not to wake my wife, but she's as nervous as a kitten about me just now. In the normal course of events I would have taken myself off to the spare room, but it's pretty full at the moment and I couldn't face moving stuff around. I try to sleep sat upright, but as I doze off I slide down the pillow which provokes an angina episode. To be honest I'm pretty fed up about it and glad that things are coming to the end.

No comments: