Wednesday 10 October 2007

A new drug

I just checked up on the side effects of Ramipril. They sound pretty interesting! Here's the list from patients UK: My brackets ( ) throughout

Along with their useful effects all medicines can cause unwanted side effects. These usually go away as your body adjusts to the new medicine. If any of the following side effects continue or become troublesome speak with your pharmacist or doctor:
Chest pain,(
Huh?) fainting, loss of appetite, a sore or dry mouth, skin rashes, itching, hair loss, numbness in the fingers, confusion, anxiety, buzzing in the ears, balance problems, sweating, sexual problems,(how delighfully vague - what form would that take then?) muscle cramps, dry cough, a stuffy nose, sore throat, feeling sick, vomiting, indigestion, stomach pain, diarrhoea or constipation, headaches, dizziness, light-headedness, tiredness, problems sleeping, changes in taste, pins and needles, fever, muscle and joint pain, swollen ankles, flushing redness of the face or a fast heartbeat.
Important: Ramipril can cause sudden swelling of the tongue, lips, face and eyelids. If this happens contact your doctor or go to the accident and emergency department of your local hospital at once.
If you experience any other worrying symptoms,
(other worrying symptoms! - could there be other worrying symptoms, after all that seems to cover most !)which you think may be due to this medicine, discuss them with your doctor or pharmacist

I'm not too bothered about hair loss - I'm pretty bald anyway, and sexual problems sound - er - intriguing, I'll just have to wait and see if any develop.

Kidding aside, I sure as hell hope they know what they're doing with these tablets


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was looking up Ramipril and it's side effects and your blog came up. I agree that the list of side effects seem neverending with this drug. I'm 37 and have been on various hypertension drugs for 4 years and I have yet to find one that agrees with me or that I like. Ramipril was recommended by an American friend who is an A & E consultant, so I thought I'd give that a try. I am experiencing the sore throat and I've had a fever with it, hot flushes and really bad headaches, so I need to go back to GP as I read that a sore throat could mean a reduction in white blood cells that fight infection. I must say though, that this is the first time in 4 years that I have had a good night's sleep - since I've been taking it - but then again, I'm quite tired on it during the day too. My BP is stress related and shoots up and down like a yoyo. I've pretty much tried every combination of drugs for hypertension now and I was hoping this might finally be the one that was suited to me. I'll have to wait and see what the dr. says.

Good luck with your heart surgery - I'm sure the surgeon will take good care of you and fix you up like new. Pity you couldn't have your own blood banked though - I had a blood transfusion after having my twins and there is something that makes you feel uneasy about having someone elses blood in you - but it saved my life, so I shouldn't complain.

Verb said...

Hi Anon (may I call you Ann?)Thank you for your good wishes. Yes, Ramiprils side effects do seem a bit daunting, but we need what we need. 37 seems so young to have BP problems, I hope that they are transitory ans will pass soon, as for the symptoms you are getting, yes, see your doctor.

I wish you well too, and hope to see you here again after the op when I'll be posting how great I feel - with any luck.

Cheers my friend, keep on truckin'