Tuesday 1 April 2008

A Scare.

I've deliberately not posted this until today as I wanted to get my facts right, which is ironic, bearing in mind the date, but I had a hell of a fright last Saturday. One of Margs colleagues is retiring shortly and she wanted to get him something "personal" as they have worked closely for the past several years. Knowing his interests we went into town to find a book for him. We went on the bus, so we weren't constantly looking at the clock for parking. It was a day that bright, clear, but pretty chilly, and we got off the bus in town for the short walk to the bookshop.

I couldn't make it. There is a slight rise from the bus stop, in fact more of an incline that a rise, but it stopped me dead inside 30 yards, puffing and panting like in the old days. My heart sank as I wondered what the hell had gone wrong. I recovered after a little while, but it upset the rest of the day. Together we walked slowly around town, got the gift then got the bus home. I stayed in for the rest of the day worrying about what had happened. I rang the doc and spoke to her on Monday. She asked me to go in straight away, but I couldn't get to the surgery as I had no transport. She said to come in today, but it the meantime if there was any recurrence then to phone immediately and they would come out to me, and not to go to the gym this afternoon.

I simply stayed in. Messed about around the house and got tea ready for Marg. Over tea I snapped at her, which is something I never do, but I was so worried that I just went a bit overboard over something. I know she was a taken aback by this as it's just not like me at all.

Well today I went to the docs, having first walked up the street and a bit further without mishap. Marg picked me up and I went to see the doc after dropping her at work. I explained to him all that had happened and how I was scared something had broken. He examined me minutely, checked pulse and BP, sounded my chest and asked lots of questions - and at the end of it said he couldn't find anything wrong at all. What a relief!

He seems to think it's a combination of many things, not least not sleeping well. I've taken to sleeping - or rather laying tossing and turning- in the spare room, and I hate it. I'm pretty sure Marg does too, but it's unfair to keep her awake because I can't sleep. It doesn't take much to make you lose the confidence you gain so painstakingly over the past two months, but at least it doesn't seem to be anything serious - much to my and every other family members relief.

I still have to keep my appointment with Mr Choudri in a few days time and I'll tell him all about it too, but at least I feel better in myself.

No comments: