Monday 31 December 2007

New years Eve is always a odd time for me. A time to look back and a time to look forward too. Looking back it seems a long time ago that I nervously made my first post to this blog, but in fact it's only 4 months. In that short time I've documented pretty well all the things that have happened to me on the medical front. I've met some amazingly kind people in the health service, and no doubt I'll meet many more as the operation time draws closer. One should never generalise, but the people who have cared from me - and I used those words advisedly - have been truly a credit to the NHS. Everyone, from my GP onwards has seemed to take a personal interest in my health, and it's a reassuring thought that such people are around. I dare say that none of them will ever read this, but at least I'm making the statement.



Looking forward: Well, there's a thing! After having half of my life restricted by heart disease, I'm really looking forward to a time when I can just go for a walk without wondering if I can make it up that hill, or thinking that I have to get back and it's just as far and will I be able to do it? Only last winter my wife had to rush home to get the car because of a terrific angina attack just around the corner from our house, certainly less that a quater of a mile, but I just couldn't take another step. I really thought that I might croak at that time, and my wife was scared to leave me to get the car. It really was one of those dire situations that it's impossible to predict and whatever decision was made could have been wrong. Fortunately she made the right one, and I got into the car and was driven home - all 250 yards of the way. I'm hoping that this sort of thing will be in the past.



I suppose there will be pain. After all they are going to cut open my chest and so on, but at least they are going to do something, and I can take the pain if I get the benefit.

2008 might be a very good year indeed !

1 comment:

Jude Mason said...

Happy New Year Mog,

2008 is going to be a fantastic year for you - I have a feeling, and I'm a woman, plus a mother, so it's got to be right. Right?

This journey has been one I'm glad I've shared with you, if only from a distance. We've become great friends, and I can't tell you how glad I am that we are. You're a special man and I can't wait for you to get this over with so you can feel better, and not have those horrible moments when you're in such pain.

Good luck my friend and we're all thinking of you, this side of the pond.

Hugs
Jude