Friday 14 September 2007

The angiogram (2007 style)

I visited the docs and he told me I'd have to have another angiogram. The very thought of which filled me with dread. I could instantly see Killingbeck in my head. Of course we forget that time moves on. Now the procedure is performed in York. They have a ward dedicated to it and it really is more or less routine - unless it's happening to you of course. I was told to arrive at 8:15 am and not to eat anything after 6 am. I arrived a little early and was met by a really charming nurse. The whole ward was light and airy, almost like a hotel rather than a hospital. The give away though, is the beds.

I undressed and put on some rather tasty paper knickers (sexy I thought, I might get some for later...) and the nurse went through the consent form and so on. Blood pressure was taken "A little elevated", she said "but under the circumstances..." Then it was a wait for a few minutes.

In no time I was walked into the X-Ray room and told to lie on the table. Rod Stewart provided background music, while the doctor tore away the paper knickers and exposed the site where the catheter would be inserted. I can't pretend i wasn't nervous, but as the doctor was a female, the twin male fears were uppermost in my mind. Don't get and erection, and for heavens sake don't fart! Fortunately neither happend.

She carefully disinfected the whole area using something that was ice cold, then gave me a local anaesthetic. In all honesty, that was the only pain I felt in the whole procedure, and that was completely insignificant.

Then the catheter went in. Possibly my mind is playing tricks here, but it seemed much smaller than the one used at Killingbeck, and it seemed the the lady who actually manoevered it was much more deft at doing so. The table on which I was laid moved in every direction, while the camera above my chest seemed to always stay pointed at one position. It looked like it was on some sort of gimbal arrangement, so that no matter how the arm holding it moved the camera stayed pointing at my heart.

Having got the catheter in the right position the dye was inserted. Again I felt the hot flush as it was pumped around my body. It struck me how remarkbly efficient the heart is at pumping, because I could feel it go upwards first to my head, then down to my feet in less than a few seconds. Its a strange feeling, but nothing to worry about. Then it was pretty well over. I suppose i spent about 20 minutes in the X-Ray Dept. then I was wheeled back into the ward. Julie - she of the iron grip - came and told me exactly what she was going to do - remove the catheter and apply pressure to the small hole left in my skin. Julie was slight, pretty, nice and ruthless! I NEVER want to cross her. She applied pressure alright. How she did it I don't know, but she held my artery closed for at least 10 minutes before pronouncing her self satsified that it should be alright. During this time the doctor also dropped in very briefly to tell me of the results of the angio - no waiting this time for a fortnight! It seems that three of the coronary arteries are restricted. He suggests that a triple by-pass operation is required. Thats about all I know right now. I'm waiting for an appointment to discuss the results with him properly, but at least I know what's what. Julie kept popping back every few minutes to check on me, but she'd done a good job first time. I later asked her how she had the strength to do it and she told me that mine was pretty easy really - she'd held one for over half an hour! Tough girl that - and lovely with it.

Then it was pretty well 3 hours bed rest and a visit to the loo to make sure everythng worked (it did), phone my wife and home.

If you are waiting for one of these, I can honestly say there is really no need to worry, I'd got through it again tomorrow if need be, and it's great to have the result almost instantly