Friday 14 September 2007

1982 to present

So from then on my wife took the leading role in our marraige. She took on new challenges in the world of work, and somehow took care of me as well. On a recent holiday a street vendor made the remark, after looking at my wife, "You're a lucky man!" I've known that for years.

Llife drifted on, we had our triumphs and our setbacks. I lost my bus drivers license because of health issues, and really I loved my coach driving job, even though it was only part time. We sold the business, and I went for a less stressful life. I drove a taxi for some 8 years, but then medical tests were introduced there too, so finally I resigned myself to doing my present job. It's not that great, but it's pretty easy and I still enjoy it even after 11 years.

Slowly, almost imperceptively, my health deteriorated. It was discovered a few years ago that I was diabetic, which didn't help and Angina was making it's presence felt more and more often. It limited me on what I could do, and it also limited my wife, because where I go, so does she. Some two years ago some friends visited York and wanted to climb to the top of the central tower of York Minster. I was dubious about trying, but decided to go for it with them. I thought I was going to die! The pain was intense and I was virtually on my hands and knees by the time we got to the top, and it took over 30 minutes to recover enough to chance going down again. Walking up hill had become impossible except for very short burst of maybe 20 yards or so then rests, then continue for another 20 yards.

Finally, after a series of Angina attacks at night that woke me up, I decided it was time to see the doc again

No comments: